Did you ever notice that there just is some music that makes you happy? Or even joyful? And given the right music, that is quite biblical. If you feel like joy is being sucked out from within you, maybe listening to some joy filled music will help pump some joy back into you! And the songs need not have any lyrics to do this. It’s just the music itself that does it.
Six years ago, when the Handwritten Bible was put on display inside the Wisconsin State Capitol, the whole duration of that time music from Lindsey Stirling was playing in the background. Here is a VERY short clip from that time on display:
Shortly after that God asked me to write a prayer for her every day for a year. Each prayer revolved around a Scripture passage, and forty of them focused upon music and musicians. If you are interested in those Scriptures (or prayers which of course you can pray along with), I will include the list with links at the end of this article).
Lindsey Stirling spoke of God at her concerts as well as online. She referred to herself as a daughter of God (which, indeed she is). She composed much of her music herself. Likewise, she designed her music video costumes and did her own choreography. And if you have been impressed with her music videos, it may have something to do with her studies of film making in college, and with the people she partners with.
As an example, here is a song she composed, choreographed and performed herself. I saw her perform this live … and I re-prayed all 40 prayers listed below while I was there at her concert! First… here is her official video for Shadows:
And if you thought that was great … wait till you see her perform it live … I have one of her live concerts all queued up to just before she performs Shadows at the very bottom of this article (I included the last few seconds of her prior song plus her verbal intro to Shadows).
But before you scroll down, here is a more peppy song if you feel the need for some energy (from one of her concerts):
This is her prayer website ( ADaughterOfGod.com ) for the segment of music and musician related prayers:
Prayers based on scriptures about music, musicians and musical instruments:
- Play and Dance before the Lord with all Your Might!
- You are appointed as a Musician to play your Violin Joyfully
- Make Melodies in your Heart to the Lord
- Welcome God to come – sing and play your instruments (and maintain a childlike enthusiasm!)
- Psalms – to be accompanied by stringed instruments
- Use your violin to accompany songs from scripture
- Enter the city with the sound of stringed instruments then proceed to the house of the Lord
- Working Day and Night, Musicians were free from other responsibilities!
- May Your Heart Rejoice as You Walk to the Music!
- Sing from Your Heart as the Word of Christ Dwells in You Richly!
- The Minstrel Played and the Lord Came
- Their music and rejoicing shook the earth
- Play and Dance with Joyful Music for the King with other women!
- Are you merry, happy, celebrating? Sing psalms and praises to God!
- Why are you cast down? Why are you disquieted? God is Your Exceeding Joy!
- Play before God with All Your Might!
- Women joined in playing music to the Lord
- Praise God with Violin and with Dance
- All types of instruments can be used to praise the Lord
- Praise God with your violin among many nations
- Rejoice! Praise God with Dance! Sing Praise with harp and lyre
- Skilled, Trained Accomplished Musicians
- God’s statutes can be your song everywhere you journey!
- Musicians were Sought Out!
- Can you play songs of praise to those who mock you?
- Harp playing began with Adam’s great great great great great grandson Jubal
- Let your violin play music to our God!
- Let your violin sing praises to God – sing a new song to him!
- Music is significant! Musicians were appointed by King David
- Sing for joy to God
- Sing for joy with your violin and the sound of melody
- Play Praises to God as He Made You Glad
- Let your violin sing praises to God while you talk of his righteousness
- Who is in charge of the Songs of Thanksgiving?
- God’s statutes can be your songs along your journey
- Play pleasant music, play the melodious lyre, sing for joy!
- Play your violin and make others well again because the Lord is with you!
- Play skillfully on the strings!
- Awake Stringed Instrument – Awake Early
As promised … here is Lindsey Stirling performing Shadows live (with a short intro):
Add your comments or questions (and answers) here: